Thursday, August 27, 2009

ANOTHER CALL FOR IMMEDIATE ACTION and my letter to President Obama



I've written several letters to President Obama (I've sent them via email here and by regular post). Here's my letter for this hot and humid day in D.C,. and on a day of continued reflection about the loss of a critical Democratic figure.



Ms. C. Cryn Johannsen
Promotional Writer and Marketer for Robert Applebaum’s Forgive Student Loan Debt Movement

August 27, 2009

President Barack Obama
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500

RE: Please help us, President Obama!

Dear President Obama:

I realize that you are dealing with the significant fight for healthcare reform, and I fear that if you lose your standing in that situation, you will be railroaded by other powerful lobbyists – I hope that won’t happen and firmly believe in a public option.  I am also aware that the student lending industry is one of the most powerful groups on the Hill. If memory serves me, it is the second most powerful lobbying group behind that of lobbying groups for defense contractors.
I also realize that many of us are mourning the loss of an important man who represented the best aspects of the Democratic Party’s ideals (the fight for equal rights, for laborers, for education, and so forth) – the Honorable Senator Ted Kennedy. It was my hope that he would have maybe be a politician we - the Forgive Student Loan Debt Movement - could have reached out to for help. I know that Senator Kennedy was very sympathetic to things related to education. More than that, however, it is a national loss, and I am sure that you are going through a period of deep reflection. You lost not only a powerful force in your party, but also a friend. Please allow me to express my sincerest condolences – I have already said several prayers for the Kennedy family and will make a point to say a public prayer for him at Mass this coming Saturday in Arlington, VA.  

I have written you several letters about the student loan debt movement, and am following-up again. I know that you receive millions of letters, but I beg you to respond to this one. The Forgive Student Loan Movement continues to grow – the Facebook group is, as of August 25, at 7:27 a.m. EST, 226,544+ members! Isn’t that something?

Furthermore, Mr. Applebaum, the Founder and Executive Director of the Forgive Student Loan Debt Movement, was interviewed yesterday (August 26, 2009) by a reporter for CNN.com, and I will be speaking to a local NPR reporter for WAMU about my own involvement in the movement on Friday, August 27, 2009. With my continued ardent support, I’ve taken on a new role as the de facto promotional writer and marketer for Mr. Applebaum’s movement.

In addition to the press expressing an interest in our grassroots movement (here’s to being a community organizer, right?), I have also reached out to city, state, and local politicians. Did you hear about the Albany’s City Council unanimous passing of the resolution that asks Washington to forgive student loan debt? I spoke to the main supporter of this resolution, Albany City Councilman James Sano, a few weeks ago. He’s a very engaging fellow and has deep concerns about this current situation.
A few days later, The New York Times picked up the story here: (http://thechoice.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/18/forgiveness-2/). I encourage your staffers to read the comments.

What do you think about that? I beat them to the story. I may be small at the moment, but I am like the little engine that could, so I’m confident that my readership will continue to grow.
On top of that, I’ve also reached out to Senator Dick Durbin (please find that letter enclosed) and Delegate David Poisson (32nd District, Loudon County, VA). Dr. Poisson holds a Ph.D. and a J.D., and he expressed concern about the student lending crisis when I corresponded with him via email a few Sundays ago. Obviously education is something that matters a lot to Delegate Poisson. He told me to keep up the good work. Since David is up for re-election I will be canvassing to help him out. I have yet to hear from Senator Dick Durbin. (It sure is hard to get the attention of folks on the Hill and in the White House, isn’t it?).

In any event, I urge you to make the right decision about this situation that is threatening the very fabric of our educational system.  When I canvassed for you, attended your rallies, and finally cast my vote for you, I was supporting and voting for change. I was under the impression that that meant real change was a’ comin’. At this point, and I realize you’ve only been in Office for a short time, my strong support is beginning to waver. I do not say that as a threat, a sort of cheap “I’m takin’ my vote away” cry, but am expressing it from a place of deep sadness.

When I was a young girl growing up in Kansas – I suppose I was right around 7 – I wrote a letter with crayons of course (!!) to President Reagan, and expressed my concern about the endangered animals in Africa. (I was already an animal lover then, and continue to be to this day). I remember so vividly that day when I received a letter back from him!  The envelope was so thick and official, and I recall ripping it up with a great deal of excitement. Granted, it was a form letter, but it was STILL a letter! I am sure your staff and others could argue: “Mr. Obama receives far more letter than President Reagan did, so it’s very difficult for him to answer each and every one.” Or perhaps staffers thought my letter quite cute, so they actually responded because I was just a sweet, little girl.

Either of those theories may be true. However, I am no longer a little girl from Kansas, but a young, adult woman who is writing to you about critical issues – indeed, the student lending crisis is of national concern. The more investigative work I do, the more evidence I am finding that this industry is based upon predatory lending practices. (There are probably hundreds, if not thousands, of cases of civil fraud too – that’s my hunch).

As I see it, all the critical issues this country currently faces – healthcare reform, the role we’re playing in Iraq and Afghanistan, etc. – requires a good deal of knowledge and the ability to think analytically on the part of citizens and lawmakers (many elected officials and their constituents are revealing how they are sorely lacking in both of these areas). It seems obvious to me that many Americans are not only ill-informed about the healthcare debate, but utterly lacking in critical thinking skills that are so necessary to understand this debate.  I mean, many of my fellow citizens believe what Palin said about death panels, and I don’t think Palin obtained the best abilities to think critically from the 6 higher education institutions she attended – perhaps she is just an anomaly.  I tend to think she is representative of a large portion of this population. These are the same types of people, in my view, who have been painting despicable toothbrush moustaches on your face! Having been a Ph.D. student who had studied the Nazis, I find this on par with those who deny the events of the Holocaust and have no capacity to even begin to understand its historical significance. In my view, what these few points show: public education is deeply flawed, if not entirely broken.

It used to be that a person could get a High School Diploma and be able to write and think, and get a decent job. (My lovely mother-in-law “only” received a H.S. Diploma in Humboldt, Nebraska. Humboldt was and still is a tiny little town, surrounded by a sea of wheat. That image reminds me of the wonderful ads about your mother’s upbringing in Kansas. In any event, my mother-in-law is one of the most intelligent and well-written people I know. Seems her high school training paid off!). Nowadays, a High School Diploma gets you a job, if you’re lucky, at McDonald’s. Although, I wager that in Washington, D.C., a McDonald’s probably requires at least one master’s in public policy or political science!

But in all seriousness, that’s where higher education comes into play. In order to even be considered a “real” contender in the U.S. job market, you must in the very least have a 4-year degree.  In many fields, as you know, even that doesn’t suffice. So, what does that mean and what do we believe as young, aspiring Americans? We believe (some of us now think that utter hogwash, really) that in order to forge a better path for our futures, we must attend colleges or universities. We believe that by taking out loans – because it’s virtually impossible to obtain a degree without financial assistance these days, and don’t believe surveys put out by Sallie Mae (!!) – that we are making an investment in our future.

Mr. President, I have news for you, students aren’t reaping the benefits of obtaining degrees. It doesn’t matter if they went to school for a degree in the humanities or to obtain a degree in business. With said degree in hand, they leave with high hopes, but those hopes along with dreams are being dashed as a result of this Great Recession. Many of these students are moving back into the basements of their parents’ home. They are demoralized and frustrated. These young graduates have so much to offer (as do the ones, like me, who hold advanced degrees and have been out in the world for while). Yet they can’t find work. There is something even worse: they are burdened with student loan debt that is being run by a corrupted, broken system. Companies like Sallie Mae refuse to work with these lenders. (A whistle-blower on a PBS show – Student Loan Sinkhole (http://www.pbs.org/now/shows/525/) – who worked for Sallie Mae discussed the unethical practices he saw occurring on a daily basis. Incidentally, Sallie Mae fired him).

This country, for a number of complex reasons, has created an indentured educated class. Again, I’m begging you to help us! DO NOT ALLOW LENDERS TO LEAD YOU ASTRAY FROM THE ADMIRABLE CONVICTIONS YOU HOLD!

Finally, I know that Secretary Arne Duncan has the power to change things in the Department of Education.  Is he aware of his power to change things? Indeed, he has the power to change things for the better. This industry has never been regulated, but now is the time. I also know that the DOE is filled with people who had worked for Sallie Mae and other student lenders. Don’t you see that as an obvious conflict of interest? It is obvious to me that the DOE is not upholding its commitment to those who need it most – the students. It is obvious to me that people who are intent on defending the lenders have burrowed their way into this governmental entity. It is obvious to me that Arne Duncan needs to, for lack of a better term, clean house. Why doesn’t he hire someone like me? I’d be more than happy to assist in cleaning house and also carry out some analyst work on the side.

Thank you again for your time.

I look forward to hearing back from you, and I hope we don’t have to continue along this line – your silence saddens me. The art of exchange depends upon reciprocity.
Finally, I have posted this letter to my blog and am urging my readers to reach out to you too.

Respectfully,

Ms. C. Cryn Johannsen
  
Encls.
cc: Robert Applebaum, Executive Director and Founder, Forgive Student Loan Debt
     Mr. Amit Paley, Washington Post
     Ms. Lauren Asher, The Institute for College Access & Success
     Mr. Kojo Nnamdi


Please write to the President, your representatives, your newspapers! Thanks for all of your support. 

No comments:

Post a Comment