Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Public Memo to Sallie Mae - You can't get blood from a turnip!

So, the financial fall out continues. Despite claims that we're in "recovery" (who the hell are they fooling?), more of our supporters are writing frantically about their free fall into Lending Hell. I've plucked one quote that has made my heart and chest ache - no, it's not a heart attack. At least not yet. It's anguish. (President Obama, I realize you've been on important business in China, but I hope your administration reads these desperate notes).

Who will listen? Who (shaking my clenched fists)? It honestly makes me feel like I've failed our supporters, and that kills me . . .

One poster wrote a few minutes ago, "[I] just painfully got off the phone with Sallie Mae to pay on [a] past due payment . . . for the sake of protecting my credit. I could have used [the money] for groceries and investing in updating my equipment for a better creative studio. Sallie Mae is ruthless. I can't stand the nasty private loans! Sorry guys, I had to vent while sipping some straight Jim Beam."

In response to that post, another supporter chimed in: "Wow, P. I too called Sallie Mae today only to be told 'there is nothing else you can do.' I lost my job. I haven't got the money . . . I [asked]: 'there is NO way you can work with me on this? And that was her answer. My credit is pristine and I was trying to protect it.I am close to giving up. . . . this single mistake in my life (Full Sail) is going to ruin everything."

Each day, I receive more messages from people who are pleading with me to help them, help them, help them!


You know what I have decided? I propose this type of (in)action to those who wish to send their children to school next year or plan on going themselves: IF YOU ARE GOING TO TAKE OUT ANY LOANS, DO NOT DO IT! DO NOT, DO NOT GO PURSUE ANY TYPE OF HIGHER EDUCATION. If you know what is on the other end, you will NOT go. I say we BOYCOTT higher education until the student lending crisis is resolved. This suggestion comes out of the mouth of a person who was close to becoming a professor. That is the last thing you would expect to hear, but the system is ruthless (there are so many interconnected institutions culpable, where to begin?), and at this point, NO ONE, NO ONE, but this group cares.

I am a person who, for better of worse, cares deeply about human beings (regardless of their foibles). This inability to help them is killing me. 

Well, elections are around the corner, and I think a lot of constituents aren't pleased by the way things have turned out . . .



"The crows seek out the young, vulnerable, and already dead for endless peckin' fun."



No comments:

Post a Comment