Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Will we become lost generations who all belong to this dreadful indentured educated class?

Dread. That's the best way to describe my feelings this evening about the student loan crisis. I am at a loss to understand why the major news networks in this country have not made a point to discuss this problem. Where are you Rachel Maddow? We need you! What about you, Ms. Winfrey? Hey, Michael Moore, I know you've been contacted, too! Don't y'all want to pick up this story? Is it not exciting enough?

There are not just hundreds of thousands of us - that's just what's showing up on Facebook. Rather we comprise millions of educated people who are drowning in this student lending nightmare sewer, which was created by those who claim to care about educating Americans. Ha! What a painful laugh that was!

Moreover, many of us are ashamed to admit we owe such ungodly amounts of money for obtaining degrees. So, we hide, feel that despair alone, and suffer quietly - these are psychic issues, but the ramifications are enormous in a pragmatic way, especially when it comes to job performance and the mental health of this country. That's why I encourage all of you to reach out to everyone you know. So many of you have shared your stories with me, and I urge you to tell your friends, your colleagues, your family about your struggles.

What about the Obama Administration? Will they continue to ignore us too? We are large, but yet it seems we are invisible. This evening that makes me feel quite small and powerless.

To whom do we turn? Will anyone listen to our pleas for help? More importantly, will anyone in power actually do something about this disaster?

We are honest, hard-working people who were told that getting an education meant something, that it would lead to a better life for us and for our children. I am like many of you, I will be unable to have a child because of my debt. (Funny thing is, if Obama hadn't written his memoir, he and his wife would still be paying their student loan debts).

I want desperately to have children, own a dog of mine again, and own a home. For now, and it seems forever, those things are out of reach for me.

That dream of achieving high things after college has been robbed from us, and I fear that we are all lost as a result . . . so, millions of us will cross the bridge of sighs to life-long imprisonment. Wow. I had no idea that in obtaining advanced degrees, this "noble" path would lead me to a small prison cell of nothingness.

No comments:

Post a Comment