Thursday, March 30, 2006

Using the Journal in Your Summer Classes

It is getting to be the time of year that we make plans for summer classes. I know many instructors do not teach summers, but for those of us who do, now is about the time when we must submit book orders. Also we might be thinking about how to change courses for the summer or for next fall.

Why not add the Journal this summer? Summer is a good time to experiment. The setting and tone is somewhat different in a summer class. The mood on campus is more relax and quiet. It could be the perfect time to try a new dimension for your course.

Another good reason to try to Journal in the summer: the subscription price is very low! This spring semester, I was surprised and delighted to see that the price had dropped. And the summer price is even less! Students can purchase short subscriptions so it is less of an expense for your students.

I contacted the terrific sales rep for my school, Marty Jakubek, and he reported the following price cuts:
A 6-week subscription for both the print and online (wsj.com) editions will be only $8.95.
The price for 8 weeks for both print and online is only $11.95.

For me, this is really great news. I am very sensitive to additional expenses for my students. This is especially important if you are thinking about adding the Journal to your class. At these low prices, cost to the student is less of a concern.

After a test run in the summer, you can develop the concept further in the fall semester. And the price for the fall 2006 semester will remain at the new low price of $19.95.

If you are considering using the Journal and have any questions, please let me know. You can reach me at WSJProfBlog@hotmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment