Monday, August 29, 2005

The First Week of Class

Here we go! For this first week of class, I do not require the students to read the Journal. I introduce and explain the assignment, but hold off until the second week to begin for a couple of reasons. First, unless your school is an Academic Partner* with the WSJ, it takes a few days for everyone to get subscribed and for delivery to begin. Also things are very busy the first week, just getting the class started. To warm things up, I mention some recent articles I have read to begin modeling what I would like the students to do. This also sparks some interest in reading the paper.

I suggest you have your students subscribe through WSJstudent.com. That seems to be a good way to get the subscription rolling quickly. And it is easier for you because you do not have to do any of the paperwork, mailing or faxing. The alternative to web registry is to have each student complete subscription forms, which you can fax to the WSJ. This was my method for many years.

One tip: Be open with your students from the very beginning! Share with them the fact that you do not read every article in the Journal everyday (unless you do!). That may seem obvious to you or unnecessary to mention, but I find that revelation makes reading the Journal seem more attractive and less of a burden for them. Students can now view the paper as it should be viewed - something to inform and to be enjoyed, not a huge assignment. Another significant benefit for me is that I do not have to pretend that I have read an article if I have not! In fact, when my students bring up an article I have not read, I am open with them. I tell them that I did not read it and also say how excited I am to hear what they have to say. I must have missed a good article if they thought it should be selected! You would be amazed how that student sits up a little straighter and speaks with a little more authority. I then ask questions based on what I might know about the topic in general. I have had great results. Win-win: I am not viewed as unprepared; the student gains a feeling of importance and contribution.

Have a great week!


* WSJ Academic Partnerships - This is a special arrangement in which the WSJ partners with individual schools with some special advantages. For more information see http://info.wsj.com/professor/academicPartners.html, contact your WSJ sales representative through http://info.wsj.com/professor/educationalRep.html, or contact Stephanie Major at stephanie.major@dowjones.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment