Tuesday, March 23, 2010

So-called historic bill passed on student loan reform

I have made it clear to many of my readers and so forth, I think it's important to credit the recent turn of events with student loan reform. It is a step in the right direction. (And just so many of you are aware - because I've been asked many times - I am very, very familiar with this bill. It is my job to follow these things and be aware of what's happening on the Hill - that's what I do for you and thousands and thousands of others as a voluntary advocate. Even though I am gone, I remain committed to following press releases, being involved with conversations with student organizations, and keeping up with my trusted contacts in D.C.).

While I give it some credit, it offers nothing, absolutely nothing, for those who are:

(a) already in default,
(b) those who are on the brink of defaulting,
(c) and those who are simply struggling to make ends meet and pay their bills month-by-month.

Based upon the number of emails I am now receiving each week, the people I already know who fit the criteria I listed above, etc., etc., it feels like a big blow to millions and millions of people in the U.S. I have made it clear to Sec. Duncan in a recent e-mail that, "[the indentured educated class] comprise a large segment of the electorate who voted you and President Obama into office. We are enormously unhappy with both the Department of Education's lack of response to the student lending crisis and the utter silence from the White House. This is not change that I voted for - this is more of the same."


Of course, I will give Sec. Duncan's office a wee-bit of credit. I heard back from an actual human being. Nevertheless, it was a stifled response, and I have heard nothing since. I will follow up with said human being because all of you deserve that. Indeed, you deserve to know why, even though you are trapped by student loans, you are not receiving anything back from you government. Not even some form letters!


There was a point recently when a contact accused me of spreading anti-government sentiment and despair. Those two things couldn't be farther from the truth. I am thinking that government should be helping more of its people. After all, it's for the people and by the people, right?


I will be honest: I have lukewarm feelings about this recent bill. I think much more can and must be done. That's why we must continue to fight.


Perhaps those in the White House are tone deaf to higher education issues because it's not their specialty? That's a pretty good quest. If that's the case, we must think of new strategies to make our voices heard loudly (is that even possible? I'd say we've been quite vocal).




My, I don't say . . . you're having a hard time hearing? Well, don't worry, we're gonna turn up the volume for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment