Sunday, February 21, 2010

WHY ISN'T THE HILL INVESTIGATING THIS SITUATION? ANSWER ME THAT.

As many of you know, I spoke to Mary Pilon several weeks ago about the student lending crisis. We had a good talk for nearly an hour, and I put her in touch with student loan defaulters (a number of you agreed to speak with her and share your personal stories - thanks so much for being willing to discuss such a personal topic). Ms. Pilon informed me that she'd be writing several pieces, and I am glad that someone else is interested in discussing this issue that I've been writing about for months and months and months (I had hoped she would've mentioned my name solely for the purpose of letting student loan debtors know that there is an advocate out there as well as a community of people to whom they can turn). Moreover, so many of you have been sharing and discussing the issue and possible solutions too. We've been sending letters to our representatives, Sec. Duncan, and the White House. I've had some opportunities to ask the White House direct questions during phone conferences, and also been in touch with Sen. Sherrod Brown's education staffer.

In any event, she put out piece entitled, "The $555,000 Student-Loan Burden," and here's my question for THE HILL - why don't you care about this type of story? Seriously, why do you continue to overlook the student lending crisis? INVESTIGATE THIS PROBLEM NOW. That's my demand. Sure, you can ignore me, because I guess I'm just "blogging" about it, but enough is enough. Honestly, your lack of attention to the student lending crisis makes me sick.

This problem is a joke. It's an absolute joke, especially when you think about higher education in the U.S. and its level of cost in comparison to other countries. Do you people really think we're going to continue to be world leaders if you allow a system to turn those who are educated into indentured servants? I mean, come on . . . In addition, those who know any better will simply FLEE the country for better opportunities abroad (not only that, there are NO jobs in the U.S., so that kinda kills the b---s--t claim that going into debt for a degree is so-called "good debt.") I have already met others from the Ivies in Korea. They have been lured away for better job possibilities in Asia. LISTEN TO ME.

You have these two things people:

(1) The new American class - the indentured educated class, who can't BUY homes, HAVE children, etc., etc.
(2) Major brain drain - countries like Korea (that's only one example) are hungry to hire the best and the brightest from OUR best schools.

I don't think I need to be any clearer on this problem.  

Please put these two things together and think about the ramifications of these components at the global level - it's not good for America.

Cheers from outside of my homeland . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment