Thursday, January 12, 2006

Don't Miss This!

Welcome back to a new semester! Here is the best news of my new year so far - the price for a semester (15-weeks) of papers delivered and full access to WSJ.com has dropped to only $19.95. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw such a low price on the new subscription forms. Over the years, I have seen the prices fluctuate in the $20-30 range and even remember it going above $30 for a semester or so. This new price is great news for our students! And for us.

I consider price in my decision-making process when I select textbooks and other course materials. Sure, I would never sacrifice the quality of the course to help my students save a few bucks, but I do seek and consider less expensive alternatives. While it is very true that the previous, higher student WSJ prices are still much lower that the regular full-price subscriptions for the paper subscription and the online version, it likely has discouraged some instructors from choosing to require the Journal. Some could consider the additional cost difficult to require, given the high cost of textbooks these days. Additionally, if an instructor is one of only a few using the Journal, the cost is not spread over other classes taken by the students. I have considered the cost to students as I have used the Journal, evaluating the pedagogical compared to the cost.

If you have had these or other cost concerns, now is your chance to add this valuable element to your classes. Even if you have drafted your syllabus and begun classes, you can still offer this resource to your students. Discussing current events based on recent articles would add great value to student learning even if you did not allocate points to the exercise. The new low price makes it easier for us to use the Journal in smaller ways if desired. At least consider offering this great deal to your students. They may want to subscribe to both the paper and the online version at this price even if it is not used in class!

The easiest way to offer the subscription is to have students register directly by visiting www.WSJstudent.com. You may even accumulate enough student orders to earn a free subscription yourself!

I have contacted the sales rep for my school to thank him for the drop in price. What a nice surprise to begin the semester!

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to email me at WSJProfBlog@hotmail.com

Have a great semester!

No comments:

Post a Comment