Monday, December 5, 2005

Time to Plan For Next Semester

This is my last blog posting for the semester, so now is the time to look towards the next semester or quarter. Even as we write, give, and grade final exams and projects, we also must plan because the next semester is just around the corner. As part of your planning you might consider including the Journal for next semester or improving on what your current usage.

If you used the Journal this semester, now is a good time to reflect on the exercise and to prepare for next semester. Is there anything to change? What worked well for you that you should keep?

This semester, like most, my students have had varied success with the Journal. Most of my graduate students were not regular readers of the Journal. Almost all are now dedicated readers who appreciate the opportunity for encouraging exposure to the Journal.

My undergraduate students are not so unanimous. That is to be expected. But many students are regular dedicated readers. I am so pleasantly surprised how relaxed the majority of them are discussing, referring to previous discussion, and bringing up other articles they have read. They really see the application of the course materials to real-life situations. They also are making connections between the course material and other discipline areas.

If you did not use the Journal this semester, think about adding it next semester. Look back through my previous blog entries for integration ideas. Not sure you can take time from your current course content to add another dimension to the class? There is even a blog entry on using the Journal in small ways to add great value for students in your classes. I understand that it can be challenging to add a new aspect to a class that is going well. Give the Journal a try one semester to see what it could add.

And please feel free to email me for help. I would be happy to share my knowledge or to point you in the direction of great WSJ and professor resources. I have been at this for years now, trying several different kinds of exercise, and surviving all types of students! The Journal is a tremendous resource for business classes.

I wish you much success. Best regards and have a great break!

No comments:

Post a Comment