Monday, September 12, 2005

If it is Rough in the Beginning

As I have said before, the Journal exercises do not always go well in all of my classes at the beginning of the semester. Some of my students or classes struggle to read and present an article well. Take heart, this is only temporary. Most of them will not only catch on, but begin to enjoy it. It gets so good in most classes that I hate to see the semester end!Of course, my graduate classes are usually pretty good from the start and keep getting better. The undergraduates usually need more time and practice. Many in my classes are first-generation college students. Some are 'non-traditional' students who have enrolled in college later in life. As a result, most do not read any newspapers (unless you count the sports page!). It takes a while for them to become interested and comfortable. That's ok - in fact, I am excited that they will progress even further that semester!I believe that any student who tries will feel comfortable reading and discussing Journal articles by mid-semester. The key is that you model for them how to read, analyze, and discuss an article. Do more of the talking earlier in the semester, but gradually step back as the semester progresses. Show them how to go beyond just the main points in the article; show them how to connect different articles and topics. I have found that this is more important for undergraduates; my MBA students catch on very quickly.

In the undergraduate classes, after we are into it for a few weeks and I have modeled how to extend the discussion, I tell them that during their preparation, to try to think what I would ask or say as they present an article. As they have seen more articles and are gaining confidence, I appoint one student to present an article and another to 'play Linda.' In other words, the second student should ask questions and comment on the presentation of the first. Less than half way into the semester, most students have grown in thinking, analysis, and application. They begin to volunteer comments on articles they have read. The discussion is driven much more by my students and I say much less. I become the facilitator of the discussion, usually only calling for the articles and adding some history or other dimension as needed. Isn't that where we want them to be? They cannot take me to higher-level classes or to work with them!

Have confidence that they will be doing it themselves well before the end of the semester! And if they start well, you have the opportunity to help them grow to an even higher level.

No comments:

Post a Comment